Ingredients for the pastry:
- 300g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g butter
- 70ml water
- 30ml vodka
- Pinch of sea salt
Before you actually start this pastry, put the measured flour and baking powder in a bag, the water in a small plastic cup and place in freezer. Cut the butter in small cubes and put that also in the freezer. Do this before otherwise it would be too difficult to cut the butter once frozen. Leave them in freezer for about an hour.
- When you are ready to start the pastry, take out the ingredients from the freezer. Place the flour mix and the butter pieces in a food processor and mix until it starts resembling coarse crumbs.
- Start pouring the icy water slowly and also the vodka, until it all starts to come together. Work the dough lightly into a ball.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours or freeze for about 30 minutes. This dough can also be left in the freezer and used when you need to bake.
- When ready, take out dough and cut it into two. Lay on a piece of baking paper lightly floured and cover with another piece of baking paper.
- Butter pie dish.
- Start rolling out the dough until it is bigger than your pie pan. Pick up the dough which is on the paper and turn it over onto your pie pan, remove the paper slowly and gently press it in. Do not worry if it breaks, you can easily patch it! Prick the base with a fork.
- Add filling (as explained in below comment) pressing it down with the back of a spoon and proceed to roll out the top the same way. Prick the top with a fork too.
- Trim away extra dough (you can use these trimmings to decorate) and brush whole surface with a beaten egg.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 180c till golden brown.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 large tins corned beef
- 1 small can tomato paste (about 120g)
- 4 large carrots, finely diced
- 500g frozen peas
- 2 large onions finely diced
- 6 small potatoes, cooked and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 vegetable cube
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- A little water
- Heat the oil and add the carrots and 1 onion and cook until carrots are soft. If necessary add a little water.
- Cook the peas in a different pan. Start by heating the oil and add the other onion. Cook until soft and stir in the frozen peas. Fill up the pan with water until it almost covers the peas. Add the veg cube , bring to boil and leave to simmer for around 20mins with the lid on. If they become too dry, add some more water.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. In the meantime you can also cook the potatoes, do not cook them too much and set aside.
- When carrots & onion are cooked, add the corned beef and tomato paste. Give it a good stir and simmer for a couple of minutes until the corned beef smashes down.
- Stir well again and turn off the heat. Mash the potatoes and stir them in. Set the mixture aside.
- When peas are nice and soft, drain them well and add to the corned beef mixture.
- Butter pie pan and carry on with the pastry as explained above.