Ingredients for batter
- 260g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 295ml vegetable oil
- 200g granulated sugar
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 300g grated peeled carrots (5 to 6 medium carrots)
- 100g coarsely chopped pecans
- 65g raisins
Ingredients for frosting
- 225g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 140g icing sugar
- 80ml whipping cream
- 50g coarsely chopped pecans, for topping cake
- 2 round cake pans 9″
- 2 mixing bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Cooling racks
- Baking paper
- Cling film
- Heat the oven to 350º F.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, stirring gently until they disappear and the batter is smooth. Stir in the carrots, nuts and raisins.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 35-45 mins or until when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks, peel off parchment paper and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy. Beat in the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time until fluffy. Pour in cream and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Chill covered with cling film until ready to frost cake.
- When the cake layers are completely cool, frost the top of one cake layer with a spatula, place the other cake layer on top. Frost the top of the cake and decorate with pecans as you wish.