Ingredients for batter
- 260g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 295ml vegetable oil
- 200g granulated sugar
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 300g grated peeled carrots (5 to 6 medium carrots)
- 100g coarsely chopped pecans
- 65g raisins
Ingredients for frosting
- 225g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 140g icing sugar
- 80ml whipping cream
- 50g coarsely chopped pecans, for topping cake
- Heat the oven to 350º F.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, stirring gently until they disappear and the batter is smooth. Stir in the carrots, nuts and raisins.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 35-45 mins or until when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks, peel off parchment paper and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy. Beat in the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time until fluffy. Pour in cream and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Chill covered until ready to frost cake.
- When the cake layers are completely cool, frost the top of one cake layer, place the other cake layer on top. Frost the top of the cake and decorate with pecans as you wish.