This hearty American chowder soup recipe is rich in both fibre and flavour. It is wonderfully served with crusty bread and topped with cheddar cheese. It is an easy to do recipe, VEGAN FRIENDLY and very fullfilling. Perfect for any occasion as a starter if you have guests arriving for dinner!
Ingredients – Serves 8
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into small cubes
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 small green peppers, sliced
- 60 ml oil
- 1200 ml water
- 4 vegetable cubes
- 600 ml milk (for vegans substitute with soya milk)
- 400g canned butter beans
- 600g sweet corn kernels
- a good pinch of dried sage
- salt & pepper
- 1 large soup pot
- wooden spoon
- cutting knife
- 2 large containers, 1 for peelings and 1 for vegetables
- serving ladle
- small knife
- chopping board
- Start by chopping and slicing your vegetables, put all of them on the side in a large container.
- Put the pot an a high heat and add some oil. Add all vegetables to the pot and give them a good stir. Leave to cook for about 2-3 minutes uncovered.
- At this stage make sure you have got all of the other ingredients ready.
- Give the vegetables another stir, turn the heat down, cover the pot and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the heat up again and add the water and vegetable cubes. Give it a good stir and bring it to the boil. Turn the heat down, cover the pot and let the chowder simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the heat up again and add the milk, beans, sweet corn and the dried sage. Give it all a good stir and bring it to the boil. Season and serve.