In this easy and full of flavour Moroccan Chicken recipe we are using cinnamon, ground ginger, saffron and fresh tomatoes combined with honey and rose water which give this sauce a very unique flavour. ONE MUST TRY!
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 12g cinnamon
- 18g ground ginger
- 800g fresh tomatoes, diced
- 275ml hot water
- 2 chicken cubes
- 3g saffron
- 5ml rose water
- 75ml honey
- coriander leaves, chopped
- deep frying pan
- green chopping board
- 2 containers: 1 for peelings 1 for onion, garlic and tomatoes
- wooden spoon
- Heat the deep frying pan and add some oil.
- Place the chicken pieces onto the hot pan to be sealed from all sides until it turns into a nice golden colour.
- Wash and remove the eye of the tomato, then roughly cut.
- Add ground ginger and cinnamon powder.
- After 2 to 3 minutes remove the chicken from the pan and using the same pan add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, ground ginger and cinnamon. Turn the heat down and cook for 15 minutes stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add water, chicken cubes and saffron then place chicken on top. Cover with a lid, turn heat down and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken, turn heat up and add the rose water, honey and some salt and pepper. Reduce to a sauce consistency for 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is reducing you can chop some coriander and add to the sauce.
- Serve sauce on top of chicken.
SUGGESTION: When you remove the chicken from pan to reduce the sauce, if the sauce is taking more than 5 minutes to reduce please put back chicken in the sauce to heat up before serving.