This spring rolls recipe makes a healthier alternative to the oily deep fried ones. If you’re keeping an eye on your food intake, instead of avoiding having spring rolls all the way , here’s a fantastic way to satisfy that craving. For the filling we use a combination of pork, chicken or turkey mince, carrots, bean sprouts and cabbage but you can add any other vegetables to your liking. It is also a great way to give veggies to your kids especially if they are fussy eaters.
We have added some noodles with stir fried vegetables to this dish, you can see the recipe for the noodles here.
Ingredients for filling
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 400g pork or chicken mince
- 1 large shredded carrot
- 300g bean sprouts
- 1 small shredded cabbage
- 1 tsp cornlour
- 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
Ingredients for spring rolls
- spring roll wrappers or filo pastry sheets, defrosted
- 2 tsp cornflour + 1 tbsp water (for sealing rolls)
- oil spray for baking
Ingredients for sweet and sour dip
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- 115g apple cider vinegar
- 45g brown sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- large pan or wok
- small bowl
- dessert spoon
- baking rack
- baking tray
Method for the filling
- Heat oil in a pan or wok over high heat. Add garlic, stir quickly, then add pork or chicken mince. Cook, breaking it up as you go until it turns white.
- Add carrot, bean sprouts and cabbage. Cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add cornflour, soy sauce and oyster sauce, cook for 1 minute or until the liquid is gone. The filling should not be watery, it should be kind of sticky (watery filling = soggy spring rolls)
- Cool filling completely (hot filling = spring rolls burst open)
Method for spring roll
- Mix cornflour and water in a small bowl (for sealing rolls)
- Place the wrapper with the smooth side down in a diamond position. Place a very heaped dessert spoon of filling on the bottom. Roll up halfway, fold sides in, then finish rolling. Use cornflour mix to seal. They should be about 12cm long and 2.5cm wide once wrapped.
- Place spring rolls on a rack and place the rack on a tray. Spray very generously with oil all over. Bake at gas mark 6 for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and crispy – no need to turn.
Method for sweet and sour sauce
Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer, stirring regularly, then simmer for about 3-5 minutes or until it thickens.