This tomato sauce recipe is great and it’s very important to get it right as it is also the base of many other sauces such as sauce piquant and pink sauce. In this easy tomato sauce we use passata, chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. The trick of a good tomato sauce is to cook the tomato paste as long as you can, we have cooked ours for about 2hrs.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 thyme sprigs (or you can use dried thyme)
- 200g tomato puree
- 300ml white wine
- 1200g chopped tomatoes
- 500g passate (tomato juice)
- cold water
- fresh basil
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Sauce pot
- 2 containers
- Place the sliced onions, garlic, bay leaves and thyme in a container and leave on the side for now.
- Turn the hob on a medium to high heat, add some oil. Once pot is hot enough, add the ingredients in container to the pot and give a quick stir. Leave to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Make sure you have all the other ingredients ready, tomato puree, white wine, tomato juice (passata), chopped tomatoes, basil and seasoning.
- Start adding the tomato puree and leave it to cook for as long as you can, the more you cook it the less acidic it will be.
- Add the wine and leave to be reduced by half.
- Add tomato juice (passata) and chopped tomatoes, rinse the tins with water and add that water to the pot. Bring it to the boil and let it simmer gently for 2 hours.
- When the sauce is ready, roughly chop the basil and add it to the pot, season with salt and pepper and give it a good stir.