In this full of flavour Beef and Mushroom Stew, we cooked the onions and garlic in a casserole dish, added some fried bacon to give the stew that extra flavour. We tossed the beef in flour and paprika then fried and added to the casserole. We then deglazed with red wine and beef stock and finished by cooking it in the oven.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 900g beef shoulder, diced about 2 cm
- 100g butter
- 4 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 50g plain flour, seasoned with 30g paprika and salt
- 30ml oil
- 200g streaky bacon, diced
- 400g mushrooms
- 400ml cooking red wine
- 2 beef cubes melted in 400ml hot water
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped parsley
- 1 Casserole dish
- 1 Frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- 2 small containers, 1 for peelings 1 for vegetables
- 2 Chopping boards
- Oven dish or another container for flour/paprika/salt mixture
- Pre-heat the oven on gas mark 3-4 (160-170 C)
- Heat the casserole dish on medium – high heat. Add some butter and let it melt. Add sliced onions and garlic and let them cook for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Heat the frying pan on a medium – high heat and add some oil. In the meantime, change the chopping board and dice the bacon. Add bacon to the frying pan and give it a stir.
- Mix the flour, paprika and salt in a dish or container. Toss the beef in the flour mixture and make sure all beef is covered by using your hands.
- Transfer the fried bacon to the casserole dish together with the onions and garlic. Put back on the heat.
- Put the frying pan back on the heat, add some oil and add the mushrooms. Leave to cook until half cooked. When ready, transfer these to the casserole dish and put back on the heat. Keep stirring occasionally. Add rosemary and bay leaves.
- Use the frying pan again to fry the beef. Let it cook until all sides are sealed and nicely browned in colour. When ready add this to the casserole dish.
- Put the frying pan back on the heat and add the wine. Make sure you scrape the pan thoroughly, so all flavour is kept.
- Add the 400ml beef stock, give it a stir and bring it to the boil.
- You can now turn off the casserole dish.
- Once boiling, transfer to the casserole dish gently. Give it a good gentle stir and cover.
- Put in the oven for 1 – 1.5 hrs.
- When ready, take out of the oven and add the chopped parsley. Give it another good stir and serve!