We have slightly twisted the original version of Gazpacho. We do not use bread but instead we give it an extra kick of healthy fats and protein with avocado and king prawns. It is said to be considered as a salad but most of us know it as ‘the cold soup’ so it makes a great dish for those hot summer days or whenever you don’t want to make use of your cooker, just like we are doing at the moment. Try it out!
Ingredients – serves 2
- 500g baby plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 150g store bought ready cooked shelled king prawns
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onions
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- olive oil
- fresh lime
- parsley for garnish
- Large bowl
- Hand blender or a food processor
- Container for storage
- In a large bowl puree the tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, garlic, spring onions and basil using a hand blender or a food processor. Blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add the king prawns which you bought from store ready cooked.
- Add the diced avocado and a squeeze from your fresh lime. Give it a gentle stir so all ingredients combine well together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Dress with some olive oil.
- Garnish with a slice of lime and parsley.
- Transfer the ‘soup’ to a container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving or until completely chilled. It is best to leave it overnight and then eat it the following day.