It is that time of the year when most of us want that hearty warm bowl of soup for lunch or dinner and this easy recipe meets exactly that demand.
Also known as chowder, this fish soup has a nice creamy texture and is a real homemade delight when it comes to these colder days. Without any doubt it always goes down a treat!
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g baby new potatoes, halved
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400ml semi-skimmed milk
- 300g sweetcorn
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 400g cod fillets, skinless and boneless (merluzz in Maltese) You can also use smoked haddock for a richer taste (bakkaljaw affumikat in Maltese)
- Some parsley, leaves only, chopped
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Soup bowl
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan until melted. Add onion, celery and potatoes and cook gently for 10 minutes until the onion is really soft.
- Pour chicken stock followed by the milk and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sweetcorn and place the cod fillets on top. Let it simmer very gently for 5 minutes or until cod just starts to break up. Stir in half of the parsley, serve and garnish each bowl with some more parsley.