Ingredients – serves 4
- 4 calamari/squid (cleaned)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp capers
- A handful black stoned olives
- Some white wine
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 potatoes, peeled
- Fresh thyme
- 500g ricotta
- Bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Large bowl
- Medium pan
- Wooden spoon
Filling for calamari:
- Put ricotta in a large bowl and mash it up with a fork. Add chopped parsley and eggs, combine together very well.
- With a spoon, start filling your calamari. Leave some space at the opening so you can then close it with a toothpick.
Salsa for stew:
- Heat up some oil in pan and add onions, garlic and thyme. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add tomato paste and cook well until almost sticks to the pan.
- Add some white wine and simmer until reduced.
- Add chopped tomatoes, stir well scraping bottom of the pan.
- Add rest of ingredients (stuffed calamari, capers, olives and potatoes) and add some water until all are covered well.
- Bring to boil and leave to simmer on a low heat for about 45 mins or until calamari are cooked nice and tender.