Skip to content
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 800g Sirloin joint (200g per person/100g for kids)
- 2 Onions
- 6 large Potatoes, skin on
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 5 Carrots, skin on
- 4 Celery stalks
- 1 large Leek
- Fresh Rosemary
- Bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried Thyme
- 2 tbsp honey
- 300ml cooking Red Wine
- 1 Beef stock cube
- Sunflower oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Non-stick frying pan
- Large bowl
- Small oven-proof dish for potatoes
- Small dish for the cooked beef
- Baking tray for carrots
- Large oven-proof dish
- Preheat the oven on gas mark between 3-4 or 165 degrees.
- Prepare a frying pan on a high heat and add some oil.
- Prepare a large bowl for the mirepoix (onion, carrot, leek and celery) and start roughly chopping vegetables.
- Add some salt to the pan and place the beef on the pan with fat side down.
- While the beef is sealing gently, continue chopping the mirepoix.
- Turn the beef to the other side once one side has browned nicely.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme to the mirepoix.
- In the meantime, keep on turning the beef on all sides so it is properly sealed.
- Wash the potatoes, cut them in half and place them in a small oven-proof dish on the side for now.
- By this time, beef should be all sealed so remove it from the pan and put it on the side on a plate or dish. Pour some of the oil left in the pan from the beef, on the beef itself.
- Add the mirepoix to the same pan and cook until the veg softens slightly. Give a gentle stir meanwhile.
- Season the potatoes, add some rosemary and combine well with your hands.
- By now the mirepoix should have softened a little and we can pour the wine in. Leave it to cook until wine is reduced by half.
- Wash the carrots, cut in half lengthwise and place in a bowl. Add some oil, salt and honey, combine well and place them on a baking tray on the side for now.
- Add the beef stock cube to the mirepoix and add some water. Bring it to the boil and transfer to a large oven-proof dish.
- Place the beef on top of mirepoix and cover it tightly with a large piece of foil.
- Now put the beef dish, potato dish and carrots in the oven. Leave to cook gently for an hour. This should give you a medium-well done.
- If the potatoes and carrots need more cooking, take the beef out after 1 hr and place potato and carrots at the bottom shelf of the oven until thoroughly cooked.