This recipe uses the rib-eye steak which is great for fast cooking because of its fats. An easy and tasty dish that can be done at home in a matter of 15 minutes. It is accompanied by a lovely creamy peppercorn sauce which will make your taste buds crave for more and more!
- 170g Rib-eye Steak per person (you can also use Sirloin or Fillet)
- 2 Shallots
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- fresh Thyme
- 200ml Brandy
- 175ml double Cream
- 300ml beef stock
- 15-20 whole black Peppercorns
- 15-20 cracked cracked black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp butter
- Non-stick frying pan
- Roasting tray
- Chopping board
- Pre-heat oven on gas mark 4.
- Prepare a frying pan on a medium-high heat. Add some oil and some salt.
- Peel and slice shallots and garlic and leave them on the side in a container for now. Add bay leaves, fresh thyme and whole peppercorns.
- Place the steak on the hot frying pan and leave to seal for 15-20 seconds. Flip them around for another 15-20 seconds.
- Transfer the steak to a roasting tray, pour all juices to the tray and insert in oven. Keep the frying pan on the hob.
Cooking Instructions: For rare leave to cook for 5 minutes, for medium 7-8 minutes and medium-well 10-12 minutes. These are just rough guidelines as it really depends on your oven. If it is still under cooked to your liking, you can always finish cooking it in the sauce on frying pan.
- Add shallots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns to the frying pan and leave to sweat for 3-4 minutes.
- Take out steak from oven and leave on the side to rest.
- Continue with the sauce; add brandy and leave to reduce by 3/4. You can flame it up at this stage (watch video at 8:10 to see how). Add beef stock and reduce by 1/2. Add cream and give a good stir. Add cracked peppercorns and butter, give it another stir until butter melts.
Add the steak juices to the sauce in frying pan and you can plate.