Probably the most tender roasted chicken you’ll ever get!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can of lager
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- olive oil
- Small bowl
- Large roasting tray
- Preheat the oven on gas mark 6.
- In a small bowl, mix the fennel, cumin seeds and paprika, brown sugar and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Stir in 3 tbsp of oil until you get a paste, then drizzle all over the chicken, inside and out, using your hands to make sure it gets all over.
- Crack open the beer and pour half of it into a roasting tray (where you would have already prepared some sliced potatoes, carrots and onions and I also add some Maltese sausage), then lower the chicken’s cavity on to the top of the can so it looks as though the chicken is sitting on the can.
- Carefully sit the chicken in the roasting tray together with the vegetables.
Drizzle some olive oil all over and add some water to the dish so you’ll have some nice gravy. You can also add some bacon on its ‘shoulders’ to give an extra taste.
- Place on the very bottom shelf of the oven and cook for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the meat pulls away from the bone and the juices run clear.