- 2 large octopus, cleaned and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- A handful of black olives, with pitts
- 800g chopped tomatoes
- 500g passata
- 300ml cooking red wine
- A handful of capers
- Fresh mint leaves
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Sunflower oil
- Sea salt & crushed black pepper
- Prepare a large pan on medium heat and add some oil. Add onions, garlic, mint and thyme. Give all a stir and leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, passata and red wine. Fill the tomato tin with water, give it a swirl to wash away any left over and add it to the pan. Cover the pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the octopus (raw, as it is), the olives and capers to the pan. Lower the heat and leave it to simmer gently for about 1.5 hrs.
Use the salsa to create a lovely pasta dish or to simply enjoy dipping in some fresh crusty bread.