Ingredients – makes 1 log
- 450g plain biscuits/digestive, crushed
- 397g condensed milk
- 100g glace cherries, chopped
- 100g walnuts, roasted and chopped
- 100g candied peel
- 150g a mix of hazelnuts and almonds. roasted and chopped
- 100g cooking milk chocolate, melted bain-marie
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- icing sugar for decorating, sifted
- brandy, as much as you wish but a shot or two will normally be fine
- Large mixing bowl
- Small heat proof bowl
- Christmas toppers for decorating
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients using your hands. Start with the dry ingredients and finish with the condensed milk. Combine everything well together. The mixture will be sticky at first but carry on mixing until you finally shape into a log.
- Wrap the log in grease proof paper and put it in the fridge for 12hrs to harden.
- After 12hrs, take it out of the fridge and remove it from grease proof paper.
- Start melting your chocolate by cutting the bar into pieces and place them in a heat proof bowl. Boil some water in a saucepan (see that the bowl you use will fit into the saucepan) and place the bowl with chocolate pieces into the saucepan whilst stirring until all chocolate has melted. This is called bain-marie method.
- Paste chocolate all over the log and before it dries, use a fork and drag it from one side to the other lengthwise so to form a ‘real log’ impression. Continue to decorate as you wish with sifted icing sugar and your chosen toppers.
- Leave to dry completely before you store it in an airtight container or wrapped up in cling film.