- Whole Chicken
- 500g Potatoes
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Sausages (we used Maltese sausage but you can choose your preference)
- 2 white Onions
- 4 Garlic cloves
- Fresh Rosemary & Thyme
- 2 tbsp Fennel seeds
- 4 Bay leaves
- 2 Chicken stock cubes
- Salt & Pepper
- Pre-heat oven on mark 5.
- Prepare a small pot with water on medium heat, when this boils up add the chicken stock cubes.
- Start peeling potatoes, onions and garlic. Slice potatoes and onions about 1cm thick, leave the garlic as whole. Place all in a large bowl. Add fennel seeds, salt and pepper to the bowl. Use your hands to give it a good mix.
- Prepare a large roasting dish to place potato mix. Add the carrots on top, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and place the sausages by either side of the dish.
- Pour the stock all over, place the whole chicken on top of the veggies and put straight into oven. Leave it to cook for 45mins to 1hr.
BASTING – To get a nice tender cooked chicken with a golden crusty skin, make sure you baste it. This is done every 12-15mins throughout cooking time by pouring chicken juices over all of the meat in the dish so it can keep moist. Watch how to do this in the video at 09:50.