- 600g asparagus, end bit removed and sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 40g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 2 ltr boiling water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 250ml milk
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Start by preparing the stock. Add the vegetable stock cubes and the lemon juice to the boiling water, cover pan and turn the hob on full heat. Turn off when boiling, give it a good stir with a whisk and leave it on the side.
- Heat a separate pan on a medium to high heat and add butter. Add onions and asparagus to pan (leave 4 asparagus tips on the side for garnish later on). Mix thoroughly and let cook for around 1 minute. Add flour and leave to cook for about 45 seconds whilst stirring it.
- Start adding the stock, ladle by ladle, and stir until the butter and flour are thoroughly dissolved. We do this so we prevent lumps forming in the soup. Once the flour and butter are dissolved, you can add all of your stock at one go. Bring it to the boil and leave it to simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper as you please. Add milk and blitz it.
Tip: For the garnish, heat up some butter in a shallow frying pan and add the asparagus tips. Leave to cook for about 20 seconds whilst turning them so that butter touches all sides. Place in middle of plate and you can drizzle some butter from the pan to the plate (as seen on the main picture)