This traditional Maltese vegetable soup is very popular especially when winter is approaching. It is a mouthful and deliciously combined with pork and sausage. It MUST go on your weekly winter menu!
- pork shank (xikel)
- maltese sausage
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 courgettes, diced
- a wedge of pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 a small white cabbage, cut into squares
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- dash of olive oil
- Large pot
- Wooden spoon
- Heat up a large pot on medium heat and add some olive oil. Add the onion, courgettes, pumpkin, carrots, potato and cabbage and give them a good stir. Cover the pot and leave vegetables to sweat for about 10 minutes.
- Fill up the pot half way with cold water, add the shank and sausage and continue to fill up the pot with water until it covers everything. Stir in a tbsp of tomato puree and add the vegetable stock cube. Give all a gentle stir.
- Cover the pot again and bring to the boil. Once boiling, uncover the pot, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 1.5 – 2 hrs. You can add water along the way if you think it is reducing a lot and you prefer it more watery.
Top tip: When serving, we like to give it some seasoning with sea salt and crushed black pepper corns plus some grated Parmesan cheese, oh yes please!