This is an easy recipe for cooking a juicy and tender Turkey and a tasty gravy to go with it. Have a look also at our homemade pork, onion and sage stuffing recipe, homemade bread sauce recipe, homemade cranberry sauce recipe and the ultimate roast potato recipe! You cannot do without these on your plate on Christmas day!
Ingredients for Turkey – serves 6-7 persons
- 1 whole turkey (about 6kg) or a turkey crown (about 4-5kg)
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- 50g butter, softened
- 2 small oranges, 1 thinly sliced and 1 cut in half
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
Ingredients for Gravy
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 6 tbsp port or sherry
- 450ml chicken stock
- splash of worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- large oven proof dish
- small mixing bowl
- large serving tray
Method for Turkey
- Preheat oven on gas mark 3 for a whole turkey, for a turkey crown preheat oven on gas mark 6.
- Place the turkey on a large oven proof dish and start loosen its skin by pushing it gently until it is not attached to the meat anymore. In a small mixing bowl mix the thyme with the butter and smear the mixture underneath the skin, place the orange slices underneath the skin too.
- Rub all over with oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 3 hrs if it is a whole turkey and 1.5-2hrs for a crown. If you see that it is getting too brown, cover it with a piece of tinfoil.
- Halfway through cooking, squeeze the orange all over the turkey and leave to cook.
- Before serving, leave it covered for 30 mins so it settles down and will be easier to carve.
Method for Gravy
- Transfer the ready cooked turkey onto a large serving tray. Pour juices from roasting tray into a jug and allow to settle. Skim off 4 tbsp of fat then transfer remaining juices into a saucepan and heat over a medium-high heat until just simmering.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth. Pour in the port and chicken stock, and whisk again. Continue to simmer until it starts to thicken then add few drops of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce.
- Bring it to the boil, add any juices released from turkey while resting, season and serve.