In this recipe we steamed Lampuki, spinach and cauliflower. Then we added fresh tomatoes, olives, peas, lemon zest and mint amongst other ingredients to create a tasty palate. Fish lovers would find this Maltese traditional recipe a real treat!
Ingredients (26cmx26cm oven dish)
- 750g Lampuki, steamed or boiled
- Short pastry (click here for recipe, you need to double the pastry recipe for the Lampuki pie)
- 250g tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 250g cauliflower, steamed or boiled
- 140g tomato puree
- 200g spinach, steamed or boiled (make sure it is well drained)
- 150g peas
- 200g onions, cubed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100g olives
- Olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten separately
- 1 garlic bulb
- Sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Large frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- Oven dish
- Pastry brush
- Large plastic bowl
- Rolling pin
- Start by cleaning the fish, cut them into portions and steam or boil them. When ready, let them cool completely, remove the bones and flake the fish with your hands.
- In a large frying pan, heat up the olive oil on a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and leave to cook for around 3 minutes.
- Add the peas, cooked cauliflower, cooked and drained spinach, olives, tomatoes, tomato puree, lemon zest, mint and some salt and pepper. Add the flaked fish and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add 1 beaten egg, give it a good stir and continue to cook until the mixture is dry and you can see no more liquids in the pan.
- When ready, take it off the heat and leave it on the side.
- Lightly grease the oven dish. Cut the dough in half and roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cover the dish with one of the pastries and prick some holes at the bottom with a fork.
- Transfer the fish mixture onto the dish with pastry and flatten with the back of a spoon. Cover the mixture with the other half of the pastry and again prick some holes at the top with a fork. Cut out extra bits of pastry and you can make some decorations on top of the pie.
- Use a pastry brush to brush to surface of the pie with the other beaten egg. Sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Put in oven on gas mark 5-6 for around 40 minutes or until it turns into a nice golden colour.
- When ready, Take out of the oven and leave to rest for about 15 minutes before taking your first slice.